Saturday, August 11, 2007

The 50 Music Project: Liverpool and Detroit

VI. Ladies and Gentlemen...The Beatles!

I Saw Her Standing There
I Want to Hold Your Hand
She Loves You
A Hard Day’s Night
Yesterday
Help!
We Can Work It Out
Ticket to Ride
Norwegian Wood
In My Life

For my 10th birthday, my parents bought me "Yesterday and Today," not really an album in the true sense of the word - but it sure sounded good at the time. My first introduction to The Beatles was probably the cartoon show; I can still remember the skeletons dancing to "I'm Looking Through You."

VII. The Sound of Young America

(Love is Like A) Heatwave, Martha and the Vandellas
Where Did Our Love Go, Diana Ross & The Supremes
How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You), Marvin Gaye
I Can’t Help Myself, The Four Tops
My Girl, The Temptations
My Cherie Amour, Stevie Wonder
The Tracks of My Tears, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
Stop! In The Name of Love, Diana Ross & The Supremes
Dancing In The Street, Martha and the Vandellas
Ain’t Too Proud To Beg, The Temptations
Reach Out I’ll Be There, The Four Tops
If I Could Build My Whole World Around You, Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
Going to A Go Go, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
You Can’t Hurry Love, Diana Ross & The Supremes
I Heard It Through The Grapevine, Marvin Gaye
I Want You Back, The Jackson Five

"The sound of young America," Berry Gordy called it, and for a time during the Sixties it truly was. It's not likely that commercial success will ever again be matched with artisitic integrity the way it was at Motown. From the incredible roster of stars to the equally incredible but unknown musicians such as bassist James Jamerson, from top to bottom the company was a hit-making machine.

No comments: