Friday, May 08, 2009

CCR

Listening to my Creedence tape on the way into work this morning, once again I was in awe of what the band was able to accomplish in such a short time. How one band - one man, really - come up with so many great songs in such a short period of time?

It's hard, if not impossible, to identify one single song as their best. But my favorite, since I was nine years old and look forward to hearing it every week on American Bandstand, is "Green River." The perfect example of their sound - even now, I can't figure out all the lyrics, except for this killer fragment at the end:

Old Brodie Junior took me over
Said you're gonna find the world is smolderin'
If you get lost
Come on home to Green River

What made Creedence was the sound - and that sound; dangerous and somewhat mysterious, never got better than it did on "Green River."

No comments: