Thursday, June 11, 2009

Dick Enberg

I don't want to wait until Dick Enberg dies to sing his praises. Last week when I was home, I had the chance to watch a lot of the French Open coverage on ESPN, and got to thinking about the incredible breadth and depth of Enberg's career as a sports announcer.

It really is amazing, if you think about it. Just off the top of my head, I can think of the following events for which Enberg has provided the play-by-play:

Super Bowl
NCAA Basketball Championship
American League Championship Series
Australian Open (tennis)
French Open (tennis)
Wimbledon
U.S. Open (tennis)
U.S. Open (golf)
Ryder Cup
Rose Bowl
Orange Bowl
Fiesta Bowl
Summer Olympics
Winter Olympics

And he's been good-to-great at all of them. In the end, I'm not sure I can think of another announcer who has done as much, as well, as Dick Enberg.

Oh, my!

No comments: