Monday, December 05, 2011

Random Monday Morning Notes

Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year. Great choice by SI of Mike Krzyzewski and Pat Summit as the Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year. This has been a rough month for iconic coaches, for very good reasons - and while one can get carried away very easily with the "coach as mentor/great person" meme, there seems little doubt that both coaches deserve that honor. For their excellence as human beings, as well as excellence on the court.

Tebow. No matter what you think of the guy (and everyone sports fan in the world has an opinion), the story is one of the most compelling ones in years. And now, it looks as if the Tebow Show may be coming to NBC next Sunday night, which will serve only to increase the hype and the scrutiny. My opinion? Oh yeah, I have a few. One, the guy is a winner, plain and simple. You don't do what he is doing right now if you aren't a winner. Some guys have it, and some don't. Two, I can't see him ever becoming a long-term great at the quarterback position. Three, I'm not sure that matters. Clearly, Tebow is a unique player, and if the Johns Elway and Fox can figure out a way to ride that to the playoffs (or even further), than it really doesn't matter how bad Tebow's stats or his mechanics are. Four, the constant proselytizing makes me really uncomfortable. With regard to his faith, I have no doubt that it is genuine. I have no doubt that he is doing good and great things away from the football field. It still makes me uncomfortable, and I much prefer the approach that Aaron Rodgers takes with his own faith. To read about that, head on over to Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback column at SI.com. You'll have to go to page 4 or 5 to get there.

The Black Keys. I could only make it through the first song because I was exhausted, but if the rest of the new album is as good as that one, song, their new album may end up at #1 on my best-of list for 2011.

BCS. No question that these are the two best teams in college football. No question that the rematch is a farce. Until the minds that matter in college football come up with a better alternative (the plus-one game makes sense to me), we're going to end up with a ridiculous controversy like this every year.

That's all for now.

No comments: