Monday, June 25, 2012

Songs of Summer, #4 - "Live and Let Die" (1973)

I'm going to hazard a guess that the entire world is reasonably familiar with this song, and forego linking to a video.

In the summer of '73, I saw my first James Bond movie, "Live and Let Die."  It was the first Bond film with Roger Moore in the title role, and never having seen any of the Connerys, I thought it was just about the best thing since sliced bread.  We (2 friends, and the sister of a one of them, who had her driver's license) saw it at a Drive-In theater, and had ourselves a fine time.  I remember my parents being amused by my comment afterward that "they had set it up for a sequel," but if you've seen the movie, think about it - that last scene with Geoffrey Holder ("Mr. Uncola Nut") is certainly unlike the ending of any other Bond movie I've seen.

The title song was a departure for the Bond series - using a full-fledged former Beatle!  And on this occasion, Paul McCartney and his bandmates in Wings came through with one of the most memorable Bond themes.

"Live and Let Die," Paul McCartney and Wings, from the summer of '73.

No comments: