Sunday, July 29, 2012

95 Songs of Summer, #40 - "I'm Not Lisa" (1975)

OK sports fans, it's time to dip into my little bag of obscurities for this one.

"I'm Not Lisa" sounded like nothing else on the radio in the summer of 1975.  Taken at face value, it's what you might call a typical country weeper, complete with requisite wailing steel guitar in the background.  But in an era when much of what one heard on the radio felt forced and/or artificial, Jessi Colter's song sounded like a breath of fresh air, cutting right through everything around it.

This was Colter's only crossover hit, but she obviously was a talented singer and songwriter.  Most people know her as the wife of Waylon Jennings, but even before that, she had been married to Duane Eddy.  I don't know if she's ever written a book, but I'm sure she has some great stories to tell.

"I'm Not Lisa," Jessi Colter, from the summer of 1975.


No comments: