Tuesday, September 03, 2013

To Be There, Or Not To Be There

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan once again finds himself in the headlines, this time over having chose to attend his son's college football game rather than be with the Jets staff on the day when they were making final decisions on who and who wasn't going to make the team this year.  Some have defended Ryan, others have excoriated him.

It's a tough call.  I understand that football is a billion dollar business, but the amount of time and energy that coaches put into the game (and the business) in the modern era is fairly ridiculous.  There's no way to be certain of this, but it feels sometimes as if coaches are working longer hours than the President of the United States.  Something about that equation feels a little off.  And I'm a strong proponent of carving out family time out of the work schedule, even if I haven't always done the best job of that myself. 

In the end, I think I side more with those who are criticizing Ryan - when decisions surrounding one's livelihood are part of your job description, I think you have a responsibility to look those people in the eye and be the one to let them know that, hard as they may have tried, that they're not part of the organization's future.  But having said that, the issue isn't one that will keep me up late at night.  Ryan has a bit (maybe more than a bit) of the buffoon in him, and there will no doubt be other transgressions this season that far exceed this one.

Play on...nothing to see here, folks.

No comments: