Monday, December 23, 2019

Top 50 Songs of the Decade, #28 - "Fade," Sleater-Kinney

This is my theory, and I'm sticking with it.  I'm convinced that when Sleater-Kinney wrote and performed "Fade," they were channeling mid-seventies Roxy Music.

Specifically, one song in particular - "Song For Europe," from "Stranded." 

Hear me out on this - the first few dozen times I listened to "Fade," it absolutely drove me nuts trying to figure out which song "Fade" was making me think of.  Let's give it a listen:



And then, the great Bryan Ferry singing "Song For Europe":



Listen to the song structures.  Listen to the vocals.  And more than anything else, listen to the drums from Janet Weiss and Paul Thompson.

You can't convince me otherwise.

Top 50 Songs of the Decade, #28 - "Fade," Sleater-Kinney.

No comments: