Wednesday, December 04, 2019

Top 50 Songs of the Decade, #38 - "Springsteen," Eric Church

First, a story.

Right before Christmas in 2011 - I'm thinking it was probably December 23 - I found myself needing to make one last run to Target, in search of trinkets (and the like) for gifts.  Before heading out on this dubiously thought-out excursion, I made a general announcement to the family, to find out if anyone else needed me to pick up something.  Son #2 asked if I could pick up a copy of Eric Church's album "Chief" for him.  When I expressed surprise - he'd never shown any inclination to enjoy country music in the past - he said it was for a friend who was a fan.  OK, no problem.

Fast forward to Christmas morning, when we're taking turns playing Santa and opening gifts from each other.  I'm handed a wrapped gift that is obviously a CD, and by now I've pretty much figured out what it's going to be. Yep, "Chief" by Eric Church.  Definitely a Hall of Fame Christmas moment.



Funny how a melody sounds like a memory
Like the soundtrack to a July Saturday night
Springsteen

Hopefully, everyone has songs that evoke memories so powerful that sometimes they hurt - even if the memory is a pleasant one.  That's what music is all about.  And that's what Eric Church is singing about in "Springsteen."  Clearly he loves Bruce and his music, but it's also about the life he was living at the time those songs were on the radio.

Top 50 Songs of the Decade, #38 - "Springsteen," Eric Church.

No comments: