Saturday, May 02, 2020

Top 50 Songs of the Decade, #4 - "Ya Hey," Vampire Weekend

Usually the first thing that grabs me with a song is the music, but on this one it was these lyrics, near the end of the song:

Outside the tents
On the festival grounds
As the air began to cool
And the sun went down
My soul swooned as
I faintly heard the sound
Of you spinning "Israelites"
into "19th Nervous Breakdown"

A little explanation be in order.  First of all, I've loved both "Israelites" and "19th Nervous Breakdown" since I was about 9 years old.  Second, I love to experiment with transitions between songs - so hearing that snippet was like giving candy to a baby.



There is also something about the easy lilt of this song that is irresistible.  For me, at least.

Top 50 Songs of the Decade, #4 - "Ya Hey," Vampire Weekend.

No comments: