Monday, May 25, 2009

The Legendary Yearbook Note - To Post or Not To Post?

As moral quandaries go, this one really scrapes the bottom of the barrel, but here goes...

As the 12 or so people who follow this blog on a regular basis know, I've been having some fun in recent days by posting what folks wrote in my high school yearbooks. The plan all along was to conclude the series by posting the entirety of what I am convinced is the single most embarrassing note ever written in a high school yearbook.

The note in question was written by my girlfriend at the time, and even 32 years later it's a bit painful for me to read. But at the same time, it is hysterically funny. My wife and a good friend of ours once spent the better part of a Friday evening having fun with it at my expense, and the laughter from that night still rings in my ears. But that was in a private setting.

This afternoon, I posted a "sneak preview" of the note, taking a photo of it with my trusty Blackberry and posting it on the blog. Little did I realize that when you opened the photo to its full size, the note was very easy to read (maybe not very easy, but easy enough). And since I'm cross-posting this series on my Facebook page, a couple of intrepid friends did exactly that. The consensus seems to be that hilarity would indeed ensue, but that the note was embarrassing to the point where it might seem horrifying should the person in question ever find out that so many people were having fun, essentially, at her expense.

So the question of the day, dear readers...post, or not to post? Am I poking fun at myself, or being needlessly cruel to someone whom I haven't laid eyes on for over 30 years? [Not that this is relevant, but she did dump me for one of my friends.]

You can weigh in here, or by commenting on my Facebook page. And in the meantime, I've taken the "photo post" of the note down.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

What, I'll never see it. The suspense is killing me. I'm watching the series Freaks and Geeks, did you ever see it? It's very well done. Brings back the good old days, especially the music.